Sunday, January 01, 2012

Betsy and the Boys

by Carolyn Haywood

I first discovered this delightful novel as a young student at Windsor Elementary School. Heck, all these years later, I still remember the name of the first chapter, “Pancakes and Cream Puffs.” I guess I really liked this one as a kid.

Anyway, this is Betsy’s story. In the fourth grade and full of spunk, Betsy wants to play football with the boys. She also wants to make pancakes and cream puffs with her pal, Billy Porter. And there’s also a strange misunderstanding involving boys and valentines.

It’s all very innocent and sweet. Did I mention that it was written in 1945? And that the illustrations are awesomely retro?

This is a sweet book for sweet girls of all ages. It is just as good as I had remembered it to be.

12/9/11

No comments: