Friday, May 04, 2012

Midnight in Austenland

by Shannon Hale

It has been quite a while since I read Austenland. I just remember that I liked it. And I liked Hale’s latest take on Austen, but it definitely was not what I had expected.

Newly divorced, Charlotte Kinder decides to treat herself to a holiday. Her destination: an immersive Jane Austen experience at an English country manor, a place called Pembrook Park. Once at PP, Charlotte quickly blends into the Austenesque atmosphere. She dons the corset and engages in games of whist.

Charlotte soon finds herself in creepy and frightening situations, all the while unable to determine what is real and what is manufactured as part of her holiday. This Austen experience is particularly unique, as it mimics Northanger Abbey, Austen’s foray into the gothic genre.

This novel is not what I had expected, but it was a quick and entertaining read.

4/25/12

No comments: