Tuesday, September 30, 2014

The Truth About Twinkie Pie

by Kat Yeh

Who could resist reading this novel? With such a great title and cover illustration, this novel for young adults is irresistible.

12-year-old GiGi (Galileo Galilei) Barnes likes to tell it like it is. She’s feeling like a fish out of water since she and her sister, DiDi (Delta Dawn), left their trailer park in the South and moved to Long Island. GiGi desperately wants to fit in with her Long Island classmates, but often finds herself held back by her past. More specifically, she feels held back by her family history.

With both parents dead and an over-protective and bossy older sister, GiGi wants to find herself. Why can’t she? Her sister is always cooking her mother’s old recipes, including Twinkie Pie. Plus, she often wonders, “What if?”

I don’t want to spoil the plot because it does hold a surprise or two for readers. I will tell you that GiGi does make friends and learns a lot about identity.

GiGi is a really engaging narrator, and I love the recipes within the text. I guess I was just a little taken aback by the plot’s twists and turns. Almost too surprising for me.

Still, I enjoyed this novel.

9/5/14

No comments: