Friday, June 08, 2007

My Bloody Life: The Making of a Latin King

by Reymundo Sanchez

So, the title pretty much says it all, right? Right. This is the most popular title at my branch library, so I finally broke down and read it. I’m sorry that I did.

Here’s why: there is nothing even vaguely appealing or sympathetic about the narrator. “Sanchez” ran with a tough gang in Chicago, and, in this memoir, he never shows an ounce of regret or remorse. This man killed and maimed many people (and for no good reason). After finishing this book, I can sum up my disgust: the author has no respect for human life.

And here's why it bothers me: kids are always asking me for this book. The author drank, did drugs, sold drugs, stole, beat up people, killed people, committed criminal damage to property, abused women, and the list goes on. And for his great contributions to society, someone did him the favor of glorifying his rotten life by publishing this book (and its sequel, too). I am not impressed. Mostly, I am saddened by this book and its popularity.

6/11/07

No comments: