Thursday, February 24, 2011

The Cookbook Collector

by Allegra Goodman

Goodman’s latest novel centers around two sisters: Emily and Jessamine (Jess). Emily is the older, more practical and successful sister; Jess is the dreamy and flighty younger sister. Emily is the CEO of an up-and-coming tech company, and Jess is a grad student of philosophy, who works part-time at an antique bookstore.

As the novel progresses, we learn a lot about their work and the men with whom they surround themselves. While the antique book business is fascinating to me, the tech biz is not. But no matter! September 11 will change both sisters’ lives forever.

I loved certain parts of this novel: Jess, the antique bookstore, and her romance. But I got bogged down by all of the characters and subplots. And seriously, though I love the title of the book, I’m not sure that it is appropriate.

2/19/11

No comments: