Thursday, February 24, 2011

Twin: A Memoir

by Allen Shawn

Allen Shawn, and his twin sister, Mary, were born in the 1950s. Though they were twins, there were not exactly the same. Or even close to the same. You see, Mary was diagnosed with autism at a young age. At the age of eight, Mary was sent away, never to live with the family again.

But this story is not about Mary or what it was like to have a twin with autism. This is Allen’s story, which, by the way, is not really worthy of a memoir. His family refused to deal with his sister, and he immersed himself in music. That’s all I can say about his life.

The title of this memoir is deceptive, the content is uninteresting, and I felt cheated. I thought that I might gain some insight on autism and siblings, but I did not.

Not recommended.

2/20/11

No comments: