Monday, November 07, 2011

I Watch, Therefore I Am

by Gregory Bergman and Peter Archer

This is a brief introduction to philosophy via pop culture, television in particular. I did not expect this. This felt like reading a philosophy textbook that used television characters as examples. I had anticipated more of an essay format.

Anyway, some chapters use TV situations/characters better than others. Among these are:

• Chapter 6: Charlie Harper’s Non-Epicurean Lifestyle: Though I’ve never watched Two and a Half Men, I totally understand the philosophy of Epicurus now.

• Chapter 18: Earl Hickey meets Karman in My Name is Earl: Again, the authors have used a show I’ve never watched to clearly illustrate Buddha’s moral law of Karma.

This volume also contains a glossary and a who’s who of philosophy, if you really care about philosophy. After reading a bunch of dry chapters about philosophy (which just happen to mention fabulous television programs), I’m not really interested in the two appendices. In fact, I don’t think I’m too interested in philosophy after reading this book.

10/5/11

No comments: