Saturday, May 12, 2012

The Sun Also Rises

by Ernest Hemingway

I have not read a thing by Hemingway since my sophomore year in high school. I could not stand A Farewell to Arms. I have not had the urge to read Hemingway since that experience, but I felt that I should read The Sun Also Rises.

This novel also failed to pique my interest in the works of Hemingway. The novel lacks character development, good dialogue, an enticing setting, and, well, a plot.

Our story begins in Paris in the twenties. Our narrator, Jake, has an on-again/off-again relationship with Lady Brett Ashley. When they travel to Spain to experience the fiesta (bullfights), Jake realizes that no matter how much he loves Brett, he will never possess her. And he also witnesses how many men become involved with Lady Ashley.

I really do not know what more to say about this novel. It is short, but it took me a while to read it because nothing ever grabbed me. I did not care about the plot or characters, and I had no interest in bullfighting. I am not sure who might like this novel.

5/6/12

No comments: