Thursday, April 17, 2014

Madeleine L'Engle's A Wrinkle in Time: The Graphic Novel

Adapted & Illustrated by Hope Larson

I could not resist the temptation of a graphic novelization of one of my favorite novels from childhood.

Here is my review of the novel that inspired the graphic novel (review from 2007, the year L'Engle died):

The recent death of Madeleine L'Engle motivated me to read, for the umpteenth time, one of my favorite childhood novels, A Wrinkle in Time.

This is the story of two of the Murry children, awkward Meg and precocious Charles Wallace. Their father, a scientist, has been missing for over a year while working on a secret project for the government. Along with a friend, Calvin O'Keefe, the Murry children will travel through time and space to find Mr. Murry and bring him home. Of course, they are aided by three strange and powerful women: Mrs. Who, Mrs. Which, and Mrs. Whatsit.

I have to admit, at the age of 37, I don't really get this book. And I'm not too sure why I liked it so much as a child. Meg, the struggling adolescent, is quite appealing, and the ideas of family and love are certainly very comforting. But I'm still really not sure about this one. Maybe I need to watch the filmstrip again!


I have to admit something: I much prefer the filmstrip to the graphic novel's drawings. I'm not sure that this story lends itself to this particular medium.

4/10/14

No comments: