Tuesday, April 01, 2014

Orange is the New Black: My Year in a Women's Prison

by Piper Kerman

New York Times Bestseller!
Now a Netflix original series!

Seriously?  This flimsy "memoir" is the work of Piper Kerman, a spoiled, aimless graduate of Smith.  Yes, this little princess got herself in a bit of trouble by associating with and working for drug dealers.  The poor baby went to "prison" for a year.  Well, prison camp.  In Danbury, Connecticut.  Where else would someone named Piper go?

I'm not saying that I wasn't entertained by this book--I was.  I am saying that there's really no meat to this story.  Kerman's "prison" stint was hardly the terrifying experience one might expect.

I will check out the Netflix series, just for curiosity's sake.  I cannot imagine what it is like.

3/21/14

No comments: