Wednesday, October 01, 2014

Otherwise Known as Sheila the Great

by Judy Blume

Sometimes I think I am really two people. I am the only one who knows Sheila Tubman. Everyone else knows only SHEILA THE GREAT.

Well, at least that is what 10-year-old Sheila Tubman thinks. Her true self is soon revealed when she spends a summer in Tarrytown with her family. With new friends and strange surroundings, Sheila’s multitude of fears quickly surface.

The big question is, will people still like this dog/spider/thunderstorm-fearing kid who can’t swim? Will she be able to admit that she doesn’t know and cannot do everything?

All will be revealed, dear Reader. While this isn’t my favorite of Blume’s novels, I did enjoy re-reading it. I especially like the setting of Tarrytown, New York.

9/23/14

No comments: